Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Bits You Don't Get To See

I’ve written a lot over the years, but for every story or novel or screenplay I’ve done, it seems that there are three or five or ten other things I’ve started and worked on and then left unfinished. Case in point, this is about the sixth blog I've ever started. I’m still writing one of the previous ones, just in haiku, but with the private setting enabled, so it’s just for me (all mine, all mine, muhaha).

I write however I can; I prefer to use a typewriter for fiction, as it’s less distracting that the computer, which has games and the internet and so on. But if I have to, I use the computer, and my little folder marked WRITINGS is full of completed stories and half finished ones.

According to Wikipedia there’s lots of “trunk novels” out there. Nabokov’s “The Original Of Laura” is going to be published this year, against his wishes (he wanted it to be burned). Stephen King’s got a bunch, like “The Aftermath” and “Sword In The Darkness”, that petered out or were rejected and then stashed. Herman Melville wrote a novel called “Isle of the Cross”, which was never published and then lost. I’ve lost a few works over the past fifteen years, since I seriously started writing outside of the assignments I was given at school. My favorite lost bit was one I did in eleventh grade, where I wrote a sprawling 20-page story on the path of a Bible from printing to its burning in the parking lot of a gas station in Vermont. It was an assignment for English class, and I had a lot of fun with it.

I just “took out” out of the folder and read a rough draft attempt at writing a novel based on my experiences getting sent off to a boarding school in the tenth grade. I sort of disappeared from my public school after the first quarter, and I honestly don’t think too many people noticed my absence. I wasn’t exactly in the running for most popular. More like most likely to be the person you look at in class photos and go “who was that?” or “I hope that bastard’s working at a gas station”. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. If I looked back at my high school years as the Glory Days, I think I’d jump off a bridge. I wrote the novel until about page 125 or 130, then lost the energy when realized I was only on the second day. If I wrote all I felt I would need to write to give the full span of the experience, I’d be looking at a two-thousand page monster, filled with bits like this:

The swings, and the surrounding wooden playground, had been built before he had come to the school, and while they showed their age they worked just fine for the kids of the day and Patrick. With his greater weight came greater speed and momentum, and he soon found himself nearly level with the top bar at each side of the swing, back and forth. The feeling in his stomach flipped around from enjoyment to a sudden irrational fear of letting go and falling. He slowed the muscle movement that kept the swing moving so fast, but just for a few seconds. When the swing was about forty-five degrees up and he felt it could and would go up further again if he continued, he let go and pushed off into the twilight. His body glided through the air for what felt like minutes but what could only have been a second or two, and then he fell to earth and the tiny gravel pebbles that the school had determined would be safe enough for the children to play upon. He tumbled, as that is the only word he could think of to describe it to himself, and his hands and knees were bit red raw by the little grains he had walked and scuffed on so many times before.

Patrick lay on the ground on his hands and knees and felt the burning increase in the parts that had made contact with the ground. Small, hot tears formed in his eyes, but with the extra years of experience he found a way to blink them back, letting only one hit his cheek and only for a brief moment before being wiped away by a gritty hand sprouting blood from miniscule fractures on the skin.

Hm. I wrote this about two years ago, and I’d like to think I’ve gotten better since then. It's almost 300 words that could be cut down to 100. It’s got sappy bits, and while I like the “gritty hand sprouting blood from miniscule fractures on the skin”, the composition feels chunky, and I’d have to rework it. “Miniscule fractures OF the skin”? “[K]ids of the day” is just a stupid way to term schoolchildren. Whatever. It was a learning process, the writing equivalent of going to the driving range or batting cage. In the folder it stays. Perhaps I could print it out and stick it in a trunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment